Thursday, June 23, 2016

Two Weeks Until Grand Junction

Since the Utah FootGolf Open on June 4, I've only played two rounds of footgolf with the Rocky Mountain Qualifier in Grand Junction just two weeks away.

Not the best way to prepare.

The good news is that there's still time to get ready. 

Lately I've been getting up earlier and kicking soccer balls around a nearby park for an hour. I'll start on one end, pick a spot on the other, and get there in as little kicks as possible. The grass isn't close to the length or quality found at golf courses, so putting and approach shots don't really translate. I focus primarily on my drives and as of right now, I'm still not seeing the consistency that I'd like to. Granted, why would I expect improvement when I've only played 36 holes in almost two weeks?

At the Utah FootGolf Open, I played a decent round shooting three under par. It wasn't enough to win and it wasn't close to being the best that I know I'm capable of, but I'll take it. Gavin, my little brother, came away with the first place finish. I think he shot nine under par but I can't quite remember.

It's funny, we played together last week and we were tied through nine holes. I thought I put myself in a position to get the best of him but he ended up beating me by six strokes. Birdie after birdie after birdie while I was saving pars.

They don't call me Parside for nothing.

What a terrible nickname to have.

I played at Glen Eagle Golf Course with two players from Syracuse on Tuesday and played very well. My drives were inconsistent but my putts were right on the money. I double-bogeyed the fourth hole to go one over par, but eagled the next to get back on track. I finished with my personal best on the course with five under, which was the best score of the three players competing by eight strokes.

It felt pretty good.

Glen Eagle has very few trees, and therefore very few roots on the greens of footgolf holes. That's not quite the case for Riverside. A lot of the holes are among trees, and the greens can be tricky to read.

When I get some free time, I want to study Chipeta Golf Course, the site for the qualifier in Grand Junction, using Google Earth to get a feel for what I'll be facing. I didn't do that for the qualifier in Idaho, so why not try something new to get an edge?

Right now my main concern is paying for the trip to Grand Junction. Donating plasma is rough when you're trying to eat right and don't consume many carbohydrates. My body uses more protein for fuel as a result and my protein levels often go below the required amount for donation, so they tell me.  I've been looking for odd jobs here and there, gardening, canvasing to name a few. I should be ok. If I'm short I'll just take a bit out of savings and pay myself back. No biggie. I made a deal with my wife that I could footgolf all I wanted as long I didn't affect our budget. Therefore, I need to do things on the side to pay for everything.

I'm not happy with how little I've been playing as of late, but I'm confident that if I make the best of these next two weeks I can put myself in a position to move on the Regional Championship, which is the goal for now.



No comments:

Post a Comment