Saturday, May 7, 2016

The Game of FootGolf

Hello. My name is Brandon and I'm a footgolfaholic.

That's the first step, right? Recognizing that a problem exists?

The thing is, I don't want to kick this habit I've developed. In fact, I want to see just how far I can go with it.

I grew up playing soccer and enjoy playing golf (although I'm absolutely dreadful with a golf club). The discovery of a sport that combines the two has changed my life. That's no exaggeration.

I donate plasma twice a week so I can play as much footgolf as I want without putting my wife and I in financial disarray. With that money I've bought punch passes, a high-quality soccer ball and entry fees for tournaments near and far. When I'm low on funds, I go to a park by my house and practice until I have enough to hit the course again.

Why?

Competition.

I've played organized sports throughout my life, even into adulthood. I love to compete. In footgolf, the only teammate I need to worry about is myself. If I fail, I have no one to blame but myself. It's me against me. I am the road block and at the same time the stepping stone to the next level.

More importantly, it's just flat out fun. Kicking a soccer ball around on beautiful golf courses is incredible. Soccer players dream of playing on grass that's as well taken care of as fairways. In some ways, it's surreal every time.




Because I've played soccer since I can remember, I've had a foundation as a footgolfer already laid before I even set foot on a course with a soccer ball. I'm now trying to fine-tune and adapt my skills to the golf aspect of the game, and I'm seeing progress.

Why not see where it goes?

This year I'll find out where I am compared to not only footgolfers in the area, but in the nation. The American FootGolf League (AFGL) has divided the country into regions, and each one will have qualifying tournaments and a regional championships for footgolfers to compete in. Footgolfers at the top of the leaderboards at the end of the summer will play in the U.S. National Championship.

I'm working hard to better my chances by practicing nearly every day and participating in local leagues and tournaments. FootGolf is still young in Utah and there isn't much competition, but it's growing. Luckily my close friends, who are also skilled soccer players, have caught the bug and we push each other every time we play.

Look, I don't expect anyone to read this. This blog is a way for me to get my thoughts out of my head and hopefully help with my progress.

I'm sure the few that look at this will laugh. I get it. It's an odd sport, and frankly the attire can be ridiculous, but I feel I can be great at it. Why not test my limits with something I enjoy? I'm all in.




I've participated in just a couple of league events at two different courses, but I don't think anything will prepare me for what lays ahead this week. On Friday, May 13, my wife and I will make the five-hour trip to Meridian, Idaho for me to compete in my first regional qualifier.

Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment