Thursday, May 12, 2016

This is it

I'm writing this the night before the trip to Idaho, and I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve.

It's going to be a long day, however. A five hour drive to Meridian followed by a walk-through and later a round of footgolf topped off with a five hour drive home?

Yes, I'm that crazy (I'm writing a blog about footgolf, of course I'm crazy).

I didn't get as much practice in as I would I have liked thanks to being an adult. While I love this sport and am serious about it, I can't let it get in the way of my responsibilities. I did hit the park with four soccer balls on Wednesday and kicked them around for about an hour. I feel better about my drives, which is my biggest concern going in. I'm hoping to get there early enough so I can get some kicks in before and get a good feel for what to expect.

I got a surprise message this week as well.

The founder of the AFGL, Roberto Ballestrini, contacted me on Facebook when he found out I was registered to play in this tournament. He asked if I could take some pictures for him to use on social media (*Joker voice* If you're good at something never do it for free). I told him I'd be happy to. I asked if he knew how many people were registered, and apparently there are just six players, but they're hoping more sign up the day of.

This means that in order for me to qualify for the Regional Championship, I need to finish in the top two. I'm very interested to see these other players and how good they are. Mr. Ballestrini told me that a man is flying from Ohio to participate. If a guy is willing to book a flight to play in a tournament, you gotta think he knows what he's doing.

I'm not feeling a lot of pressure right now, but I'm sure that will change in about 12 hours as I get close to Meridian.

Well, it's about to get real. The plan is to be on the road at 6:30am which means I've got to get some shut eye.

Until next time.

-BG

No comments:

Post a Comment